Thursday, March 08, 2007

Trials and Tribulations

I don't want to have one of those blogs where all I do is b.... but some days I'd like to just put it down somewhere and file it away, like on this blog perse, so I don't feel like banging my head on the wall. And particularly when I don't say the thing I wanted to say but didn't formulate until much later, when I was somewhat less horrified. Here I log the ballsy things I hope I have the guts to spit out if the time should come again!

So I've been accepting rides from an older gentleman who I work with, which already starts to sound sketchy, but bare with me here. We've been having freezing temps here lately, snowstorms and such and I live about a 15 minute walk away from my work, which can be a hell of a walk on a bad day. So when my co-worker offers me a ride, I accept.

Strike 1
It started out as a conversation about how I visited my relatives in Canada and how there's a large Hong Kong community in Markham, Canada.
Mr. Smith: Well they're taking over.
Moi: I wouldn't say that exactly.
The ballsy me: Shoot! Give those immigrants and inch and they take a mile! or Did you forget who you were talking to?

same conversation gets better....

Strike 2
Mr. Smith: The librarian at our school, she's really smart. She's from Hong Kong. She went through the British school system.
Moi: Uh-huh.
The ballsy me: Civilize those savages damn straight! Thank god for imperialism!


On another afternoon with Mr. Smith

Strike 3
Mr. Smith: You speak such good English.
The lame me: Well I've lived here all my life.
The ballsy me: You sound surprised.

4 Comments:

Blogger in pieces said...

i hope you are doing well these days.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Nirmala said...

I hear you on this conversation! Thanks for stopping by blog. How did you find it? I heart avocado too.

1:18 PM  
Blogger canis minor said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:29 AM  
Blogger canis minor said...

xenophobia and racism are so innocuous sometimes that even the people who perpetuate those attitudes are totally unaware of it. they just think they're spouting verbal gold. there's a huge rhetoric of immigrant-fear in Canada (i live not too far from Markham) and it drives me nuts because it's not placed within a wider context of global social injustice. baaah. i'm sorry about your situation though, i don't know how i'd handle it... slash i've just handled it like you have so many times. how can you not? especially if you're younger to the company. my opinion: i do think it is a good idea to undermine what mr. Smith says. with that said, i don't know anything of you or your situation. i just want mr. Smith to shove it.

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home